The Foundation for Refugee Students UAF provides financial and other support to refugees and asylum seekers who plan to study in the Netherlands.
This support consists of:
Applying for UAF support (asylum seekers and refugees)
- Scholarships and contributions towards the costs of the preparation and of the studies.
- Individual advice and guidance by student counsellors.
- Support to graduated UAF students in finding a job.
- Advice to governmental and educational institutions about suitable paths for higher educated refugees.
The UAF Foundation helps and counsels refugees and asylum seekers with their study at master-level (university), bachelor-level (higher vocational education), or intermediate vocational education at level 3 or 4 (mbo). Only refugee-students who are accepted as UAF-client will receive support.
Do you wish to apply? Please, first check if you meet the following requirements.
Registration by phone
- You are a refugee
- You do not have a residence permit for more than five years
- You have sufficient training to study in higher education in the Netherlands
- You want to study in higher education
- You are sufficient in Dutch, English or French
- You did not graduate in a Dutch bachelor or master study
Registration is temporarily only possible by telephone. Office hours for registration are Monday to Thursday, 10 am until 12 noon. Our telephone number is 030-204 1 504.
During the telephone call, we need the following information:
What happens after registration?
- Your name, address, date of birth, and telephone number
- Information about your asylum procedure
- Your previous education and level of Dutch
- Your study plans (please, note: we may also support your study when English is the language of instruction, under the condition that your level of Dutch is sufficient (level B1)).
: when you are registered you are not automatically supported by the UAF. We will first assess your application.
The UAF has its own application procedure, independent of the legal procedure at the Ministry of Security and Justice (or IND). The total application procedure takes about four months to complete.
- If you meet our requirements you will receive an application form.
- After receiving your application form together with the required documents, we will assess your application.
- We may invite to do a learning ability test and/or a personal interview.
- After a positive decision you will officially become a UAF-client. The UAF will assist you and may possibly provide financial support during your studies and/or career planning.
- If our decision is negative, we will send you a letter explaining the reasons for our decision.